How to VB.NET Directory operations
Using Directory class , we can create , delete , move etc. operations in VB.NET. Because of the static nature of Directory class , we do not have to instantiate the class. We can call the methods in the class directly from the Directory class.
How to create a directory ?
In order to create a new directory , we can call CreateDirectory directly from Directory class.
- Syntax : Directory.CreateDirectory(DirPath)
- DirPath : The name of the new directory
VB.NET : Directory.CreateDirectory("c:\testdir")
How to check a directory exist or not ?
Before we creating a directory , we usually check that directory exist or not. For that we are using the Exists method in the Directory class.
- DirPath : The name of the directory
- Boolean : Returns true or false , if directory exist it Returns true , else it Returns false
VB.NET : Directory.Exists("c:\testdir")
How to move a Directory ?
If we want to move a directory and its contents from one location to another , we can use the Move method in the Directory class.
- sourceDirName : The source directory we want to move.
- destDirName : The destinations directory name.
VB.NET : Directory.Move("c:\testdir1\testdir2", "c:\testdir")
How to delete a Directory ?
When we want to delete a directory we can use the Delete method in the Directory class.
- DirPath : The Directory we want to delete.
VB.NET : Directory.Delete("c:\testdir1")
The following VB.NET source code shows these operations :
When you executing this program you can see , first it create directory testDir1 and then testDir2 is creating inside testDir1 , Next the program move the testDir2 to testDir . Finally it delete the directory testDir1. After the execution you can see testDir in c:\