Thread in computer science means a sequence of execution instructions that can run independently , that is a single flow of execution in a process. Thread is like a process, at least one thread exists within each process. Single Thread (normal programs) in computer science means that only one task can execute and at the same time the other tasks have to wait for the completion of the current task like in a queue. Single thread resulted in systems idle time and application performance.
Multithreading allows multiple process to execute concurrently within a single program .That is more than one task in a program can execute at the same time and each thread run independently of its own. If multiple threads can exist within a process, typically share the state information of a process, and share memory and other resources directly. Each thread maintains exception handlers, a scheduling priority, and a set of structures the system uses to save the thread context until it is scheduled.
In multiple threaded programming we can use system's idle time, so it leads improved application performance . Also we can set priority in each Threads . Threads with higher priority are executed in preference to threads with lower priority. It is recommended that you use as few threads as possible, thereby minimizing the use of Operating System resources . Check the following links to see how Multi Threaded applications works in VB.NET .
1. Multithreaded Socket Programming
2. Multi Threaded Chat Server Program
- What is Microsoft .Net Framework
- what are the functions of microsoft .net framework?
- Common Language Runtime in .Net Framework
- How to Common Language Runtime
- What is .Net Framework Class Library
- What is Common Language Specification
- What is Common Type System
- What is Microsoft Intermediate Language
- What is Portable Executable (PE) File Format
- What is Microsoft Just In Time Compiler
- How to Managed Code - Microsoft .Net Framework
- What is .Net Framework Metadata
- what is .Net Framework Assembly
- What is Assembly Manifest
- What is Global Assembly Cache
- What is a .Net Satellite Assembly?
- What are the contents of an Assembly?
- How to Private Assembly and Shared Assembly
- What is Microsoft .Net Strong Name
- What is .Net Namespaces
- What is Application Domain
- What is Code Access Security
- What is Garbage Collection